Hours and Access
Q. What are opening hours?
A. 10:00–17:00 (Fridays and Saturdays open until 20:00)
* Admission until 30 minutes before closing.
Q. On what days is the museums closed?
A. We are closed on Mondays (open on holiday Mondays and close on the following days); during installation periods; and New Year holidays. For irregular openings and closings, please check the exhibition schedule and news.
Q. How can I get to the museum?
A. Please see the Access page.
Q. How much is admission?
A. Admission differs between the collection exhibition and special exhibitions.
[MOMAT Collection (consumption tax included)]
– Adults: 500yen (400yen)
– University and college students: 250yen (200yen)
*Evening Discount (From 5:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays)
University and college students: 150yen
* Admission in the parentheses is for groups of 20 people or more.
* Free for high school students, under 18, seniors over 65, Campus Members, those with MOMAT Passport, MOMAT Members, and MOMAT Supporters. Persons with disability and one person accompanying each of them are admitted free of charge.
* Please show your ID to get free entrance.
* Admission to the art museum includes admission to the collection exhibition of the Crafts Gallery (valid for the day). Please note in some periods the Crafts Gallery does not give its collection exhibition.
Admission varies from exhibition to exhibition. Please check exhibition webpages.
Q. Is there a free-admission day?
A. On the first Sunday every month, May 18 (International Museum Day), and November 3 (Culture Day), you can visit our collection exhibition for free, except when the museum is closed. For special exhibitions, please check exhibition webpages.
Q. Can I take photographs in the museum using, for example, a digital camera?
A. Still photography is permitted in the collection galleries only. No flash or tripods allowed. Works marked with a “no photography” sign may not be photographed for copyright protection. Please carefully read the precautions posted in the elevator hall on the fourth floor before photographing. Most borrowed works shown in the special exhibition galleries may not be photographed because of provisions in the loan agreement. Making notes is permitted in the galleries (pencil only, pencils for loan available).
Q. May I use photographs taken in the museum? May I use images of art works posted on your website?
A. Concerning the photographs you took in the museum, please note:
– Commercial use is not permitted.
– Modifications are not permitted.
– Use of your photographs showing exhibits may constitute violation of copyright laws.
Use of the images of art works posted on this website is not permitted. Please see the Reproduction page about the loan of images of art works in our collection.