An introduction of a building
Western-style Buildings from the Meiji period (1868–1912) Relocated and Reassembled
National Crafts Museum
The Old 9th Division Command Headquarters—originally built in 1898 as the executive office and designated as a Registered Tangible Cultural Property in 1997—and The Old Army Generals Club—an organization of retired military servicemen originally built in 1909 as a meeting place for officers—have been relocated and reassembled. The galleries are newly built reinforced concrete restorations. The exterior restores the buildings’ original colors that have been identified during relocation and reconstruction.
The Old 9th Division Command Headquarters (2F Stair Hall)
The Old Army Generals Club (2F multipurpose room)
The Old 9th Division Command Headquarters Division
Commander room (2F lounge)
About the exhibition room
Welcome to the World of Crafts
The first floor provides novices in Japanese crafts with lucid explanations of techniques and terminology. It also contains a digital-driven section that enables visitors to enjoy interactions with 3D images of craftworks.
The Matsuda Gonroku’s Maki-e Studio
The second floor presents the studio of Matsuda Gonroku (1896–1986), lacquer artist and a living national treasure from Kanazawa City, that has been relocated and reassembled, along with production tools, materials and documentary videos related to the artisan.
List of works>> Related Materials and Items
This room presents idea sketches and designs that preceded craftworks.