Guide to the Art Library
About the Art Library
Having opened in 2002 as a library specializing in modern art, the MOMAT’s Art Library collects, and provides public access to, a broad range of materials including art books, exhibition catalogues, and periodicals on art. Anyone hoping to consult our collection can use our library free of charge.
- 29/7/2022 The Art Library of the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo is going to change some of the rules about the use of the library on August 2, 2022.
- 29/3/2022 The MOMAT OPAC was renewed at 29 March 2022.
- 14/4/2021 Some Materials Transferred from the Crafts Gallery to Our Library
- 10/3/2020 New content has been added to the English version of the Art Library web page.
Tuesdays–Saturdays: 10:30 AM– 5:00 PM (admission until 4:30 PM)
*Closed on holidays, during closure of the museum and maintenance
*Please check the library calendar
The library collection
- Books about modern art
- Exhibition catalogs
- Art related magazines
Number of Materials
You can request up to five materials each time.
*Requests for the materials in the closed stacks until 4:30 PM.
Complete a Photocopy Request Form and make photocopies yourself.
*Requests for the photocopying until 4:30 PM.
Per copy fee including tax:
black-and-white: 30 yen
color: 100 yen
*Please have small change or a thousand-yen bill ready.
Available sizes: A4, B4 and A3
- Put your baggage in one of the coin lockers by the Library’s entrance. Refrain from bringing anything other than pencils, laptops, and valuables into the Reading Room.
- The materials may be used only in the reading rooms. They do not circulate out of the library.
- Do not use materials for other purposes than consultation.
- You may use your own computer in the library after letting the staff know about it.
- Refrain from the following behaviors: smoking, drinking, eating, photography, videography, use of mobile phones, and actions that disturb other users.
- Take good care of library materials.
- An in-advance application is required for use of materials in the Rare Book Room or the Stacks II.
About the Art Library
Having been established in 1952 as Japan’s first national art museum, the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo (MOMAT) is located in central Tokyo, near the Imperial Palace. It houses many Japanese masterpieces in various genres from the early 20th century to the present including works from abroad, and holds various exhibitions.
Having opened in 2002 as a library specializing in modern art, the MOMAT’s Art Library collects, and provides public access to, a broad range of materials including art books, exhibition catalogues, and periodicals on art.
Anyone hoping to consult our collection can use our library free of charge.
As a rule, you can apply to view up to five items of material at the same time. If you would like to view more than five items of material, please consult us separately. Please make a reservation below.
As a rule, we only allow access to materials that are not available anywhere else. You can apply to view up to five items of material at the same time. Please make your request well in advance because we may need time to make them available.
When first accessing the document, inform a staff member at the counter of your next scheduled visit. The document can be reserved for you for up to two weeks.
The Artist Files consist of non-book ephemera such as exhibition brochures and flyers grouped by artist. Note that they contain no books or journals. Please make a reservation below.
The Art Library has thus far made various efforts.
TEL: +81-3-3214-2561 (The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo Representative)
Reception Hours: Tue–Fri, 10:30 am–4:30 pm (on open days only)